Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Eating my way through Chinatown

Last Friday I spent the day with my little sister exploring Chinatown
New York City. The rule was: Paleo friendly food.


We have something very special in common: We love to eat! We are definitely "foodies". Unlike my wife, my sister is culinarily adventurous. I see many more culinary adventures in our future.


Our first stop was a Chinese BBQ joint. There are many of these all over Chinatown. very cool "window shopping"




BBQ duck, BBQ pork skin on/skin off versions, BBQ pigs ears and tripe, side of veggies


close up of the tripe and pigs ears.


definitely interesting and different, but it all kind of tastes the same as they use the same flavorings for everything. my favorite was the pork with crispy skin.




having gorged ourselves we decided to walk around and let the tasty meal digest. there are many stores and street stands with a myriad of seafood, fruits and trinkets.



fruit stand with mangoes, cherries , lechee and several other related fruits whose name I forget.

we bought a little of every fruit to take home, but wound up snacking on the cherries.




To quench our thirst we shared a roasted young coconut. the vendor just pokes a hole, hands you a straw. Not bad for $1.50 and very Paleo.


We ended the day in a Vietnamese restaurant:


veggies
Pork intestines with sour cabbage. I've had pork intestines before and after having it twice I can definitely say this was my last time. To me they taste awful. My sister agreed.

Snails in ginger sauce. this was my favorite dish both for flavor and the fun factor. you have to suck, pick, and extract the tasty morsel.





Suck

Pick



Extract

My sister's favorite dish was the Grilled Beef with Green Mango salad. it was phenomenal.
we also had fogs legs in ginger and scallion sauce. I was so busy with the snails I forgot to take a photo. They were very tasty!

1 comment:

  1. Alex - GREAT CHINATOWN WRITE UP!

    One tiny correction, it's not grean mango salad but green papaya salad. It's super tasty, bursting with fresh and vibrant flavors. And the simple grilled beef is grilled to perfection and yet so tender, it melts in your mouth....sigh.

    I had a blast with you and look forward to sampling our way through more diverse neghborhoods. I think some culinary quests should include Dominican, Puerto Rican, Russian, Scheshuan (bad spelling).....I will gladly accompany you!

    Love, marina

    ReplyDelete